View Single Post
Old March 31, 2020, 11:49 AM   #24
FrankenMauser

I was involved in something like that in late 2005. Air Force.
Similar result, different approach.

I don't remember the exact situation, but arrangements were made for myself and two other guys from my unit to stay at the range with the armorers and instructors after our weapons qualification, because almost everything was shut down for some huge ceremony that took over our side of the base. ...And we wouldn't be able to go anywhere else for 4-6 hours.

We screwed around on the 75 yard range with some of the oddities in the armory, like M16A3s and a couple HK416s. It was nice to play with something other than the usual ratty and worn out M16A2s.

When a small class showed up for their rifle qual session, we shot along side them with A2s, until the instructor asked us if we could "help" two of the students qualify. The rest of the class was gone, and these guys just couldn't get enough hits. (Fuel cell guys. Even more so than us, if they have to start shooting, everyone is already dead, anyway.)

Since this was a 25 yd range with simulated-distance targets, I laughingly suggested that we shoot in 'burst', so it looks more believable and seems like the two of us are still doing our own thing.

The instructor paused for just a split second and then gave us the run-down: "Okay. Here's the deal. We'll run through the standard drill and just let them shoot. Then, once they have gas masks on and can't see for [poop] any more, you guys use burst to light up the first two targets in each sequence. That should be enough, but not too much."

Both students qualified. Both missed the target entirely with their own shots, so many times, that neither had too many holes in the paper.

It was a fun day, even if there was some cheating going on.

(When I returned for my next re-qual about five months later*, the same instructor let me shoot for record in 'burst'. Two holes in the white. The rest in the black. "Expert" in burst. It may be the lowly USAF qualification standard, but I was proud of it. I think I still have the target.)
*Mil-Spec qualification schedule: If you're due in 18 months, you'd better get it done a year early, just to make sure you don't go overdue...

Page generated in 0.02392 seconds with 8 queries