View Single Post
Old October 19, 2019, 06:32 AM   #1
IrvJr

Beretta or Mossberg Semi Auto for light target loads

Hi All,

I have been shooting a lot of skeet lately with my Browning Cynergy O/U 12 ga shotgun. It's a 26" barrel gun that's relatively light (I think 7.5 pounds) and if I shoot high volumes of shells (125 to 150 rounds per session, a few times a week) I can start to feel it in my shoulder, even if I use the light target loads (Fed or Win 2-3/4", 7/8oz, #8).

I'm considering getting a gas gun that I can use to shoot the low cost bulk 7/8oz #8 shot loads that I can get from a store locally.

I've done some searching online, and have also read some forum posts about sem-auto gas guns. The Beretta A400 Xcel's user manual says it can handle light 2-3/4" 7/8oz (24g) shells and I've read a few forum posts indicating that this is true and not just marketing hype. However, the A400 is very expensive.

I've read online that some folks have had success running a 28" barreled Mossberg 930 with light target loads, but it's unclear to me if that includes 7/8 oz #8 shot light clay loads (1145 fps rating on the box).

I really like the idea of buying the Mossberg 930 (28" field) - I own a Mossberg 500 in 20 gauge and it's an awesome, light pump action. Plus I like that the 930 is made in the US, etc..

However, I would strongly prefer a gun that could shoot the light 7/8 oz loads reliably. My local store sells the 7/8oz #8 loads in bulk (winchester target). They also sell 1-1/8 oz #7.5 loads in bulk, but i prefer the #8 shot light loads for clay shooting.

What's your experience with using very light #8 target loads in your 930? Does it cycle the shells reliably?

Should I go with the 930 or go with the A400 Xcel, which looks like an amazing gun, but sells for nearly 3x the price?

Thanks in advance!

Page generated in 0.02203 seconds with 8 queries