View Single Post
Old October 16, 2005, 04:08 PM   #11
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Back in the 80's, I missed a qualification due to a lay-off and had to re-qualify with the local tech school's academy. These were mostly guys from smaller or 1-man depts. Most of 'em were OK, but there was one dufus that made Barney Fife look like Jeff Cooper. He had borrowed a huge hog leg somewhere, and we were firing from the 15 yd line, 12 rounds, double action, in 20 seconds (revolvers). Dufus was shooting single action when the range officer yelled "I said double action". Dufus turned with a cocked pistol, pointed it straight at the range officer and said "What'd ya say?" The range officer was a pretty big guy (and the chief of a neighboring city dept.), but he moved faster than I thought possible and kicked a 20 yd. field goal with the guy's backside. He literally kicked him so hard he went flat on his face. I went back to the car and put on my vest.

Not to be gory here guys, but I've been on a number of shootings to the head, self inflicted and otherwise, and I have yet to see one where death was instantaneous. I can think of 3 right off where the victim died right in front of me, and they were all in agonizing pain and throwing up. Suicide by one in the mouth is NOT the easy way out.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie

Page generated in 0.03569 seconds with 8 queries