View Single Post
Old September 18, 2011, 08:41 PM   #5
PawPaw

Remember; no plan survives the first contact, intact.

If you're still there when the cops get there the best thing you can do is surrender. I'm an active police officer and we train regularly on active shooter scenarios. In our agency we're coming in hard with violent action and extreme aggression. Anyone holding a gun who does not immediately surrender, drop the gun and follow immediate verbal instructions is in danger of being shot.

Don't get me wrong, guys. I've never had any trouble from a law-abiding citizen with a gun. I assume that everyone I stop is armed because I live in a very gun-friendly state. I've got no problem with citizens holding guns and I'm a staunch 2A supporter. However, in an active-shooter scenario I don't have time to separate the sheep from the goats.

Quote:
C) If yes to A&B...Shoot to kill.
Negative, negative, negative. Shoot to stop. All we want to do is stop the guy. If you shoot him three or four times and he stops, then you've done good. If he dies on the way to the hospital, that's his problem. If he'd have stopped earlier, he wouldn't have been shot so much.

Quote:
D)Aftermath plan...scan crowd with weapon LOWERED...call police. Clear and holster weapon, take cover, stay on phone with dispatch. make sure the cops know I am a good guy.
You're thinking through it anyway. I don't know if you'd have the fine motor skills necessary to use a cell-phone. After a shooting, you'll have a huge adrenaline dump and you might not have the fine motor skills to do anything but sit down. If you can use the phone, it would be a great idea to let the dispatcher know that you're a good guy, but you're probably going to be cuffed anyway. Don't take it personally. Everyone in the area who has a gun is probably going to be cuffed. We'll apologize when it's over. Really, we will.

It's a good idea to think about these things. I make my living thinking about these things. I hope I never have to use any of it.

And remember. No plan survives the first contact, intact.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com

Page generated in 0.02449 seconds with 8 queries