View Single Post
Old November 26, 2008, 06:20 PM   #32
Byron Quick
Staff In Memoriam

jdscholer,

Beware animals that are not acting according to their nature. I was at a campfire at hunt camp one night shooting the bull with my cousins. Then a gray fox walked up to the fire among us. My young cousins were all excited and ready to put a collar on it. They were a mite upset when I shot it.

They didn't know that it was probably rabid until I told them. Or injured.

I captured a red fox one night that was standing in the road when I was about their age. I did have sense enough to capture it with a heavy quilt instead of picking it up.

Took it to a game warden who caged it in his back yard. Even though there were no visible injuries, that fox died before morning. Only thing we could figure was it got hit by a car and had a brain injury.

Shot a buck one day that was just standing there about twenty five yards away in a clearing looking at me as I walked. It was in the open and I was in the open. It just stood there looking at me. After I shot it, I walked up to it. One antler had been torn completely out of its head. The antler didn't break off...a piece of the buck's skull came out with it. I could see down into sinus type bone maybe an inch or so down. It was dry with no sign of infection or insect infestation. Everything else about the deer seemed normal physically. But I left that deer there. The coyotes ate well that night. Better safe than sorry.

Page generated in 0.02327 seconds with 8 queries