View Single Post
Old August 24, 2008, 11:35 AM   #11
KyJim

This is maybe only slightly relevant to the topic but is about the M-1 carbine.

My father was stationed in Okinawa in 1950 in a combat infantry regiment and was discharged into the Ready Reserve a couple of months before the Korean War broke out. He had declined to re-enlist. He was called back into active duty and assigned to a transport company and issued an M-1 carbine. It was intended for support troops, like his transport company. It was more powerful and accurate than a .45 but not as heavy and cumbersome to lug around as the M-1 Garand.

Keep in mind that, especially in the early stages of the War, American front lines were chaotic and sometimes non-existent. Support troops often engaged the enemy. My father told me that as soon he got to Korea, the combat infantry troops passed his transport company in full retreat, meaning his company was the front line. There were complaints about lack of power in the M-1 carbines in penetrating thickly padded winter uniforms, especially at longer ranges. My father took to carrying a full auto Chinese made weapon until the other guys razzed him so much for carrying a Commie gun. I think he liked the M-1 carbine, however, because he still keeps one loaded at home.

As a footnote, my father told me that only six of his original combat infantry regiment in Okinawa survived the War.

Page generated in 0.02464 seconds with 8 queries