View Single Post
Old July 19, 2002, 05:24 AM   #12
Skorzeny

Najdorf:
Quote:
Since BJJ has weight classes, I don't think you can say they don't think weight matters between people of similiar skill.
Of course weight matters! I was merely referring to the silly arguments from some BJJ schools (hmmm, I wonder who might that be?) that claim that the "technique" is all.
Quote:
I doubt Joe Moreira would say that BJJ no rules techniques haven't significantly evolved in the last 50 years, but I believe that if he did he would be disputed by everyone in the know.
That's not what Moreira would say (even though I don't know the man, I assume based on what I've heard of what he said). Because that begs the question of what "BJJ no rules techniques" are. How is "BJJ no rules techniques" presumably meant for MMA/NHB different from Shooto or "combat submission wrestling," Luta Livre and any number of other "for NHB competition" schools? Were we to evaluabe "traditional" Gi-based BJJ techniques (if there are such things), it becomes clear that it is essentially pre-war Kodokan Judo with emphasis on ground techniques.

Also, while there may be many BJJ instructors of greater fame than Joe Moreira, what makes him very different from many BJJers who, until very recently, never left Brazil, is that he studied Judo extensively in Japan and seems to understand both "systems" exceptionally well.

Even my own BJJ instructor, a Brazilian, who is a Pan-Am medalist, and is a fairly well regarded Judoka at the same time, says that while the focus differs (throws vs. ground), the two essentially draws from the same body of knowledge/techniques.

His MMA techniques are different, of course. But then again, his stand-up MMA techniques are mostly Muay Thai! Not exactly, BJJ is it?

Skorzeny

Page generated in 0.04339 seconds with 8 queries