Thread: Feral cats.
View Single Post
Old August 6, 2011, 09:06 PM   #1
The Terminator

Feral cats.

I really don't know if you would consider them to be hunted, but my son sure did. He has never shared my life long interest in guns, hunting, or fishing. He is 16 now.

Well, lately, we have been taken over by cats. They were living under the house, getting in, having kittens, and being a nuisance. I live out in the country. One of the few month old kittens got into the house, and ran under the cabinets in the kitchen. There was a crack in the corner, where the kick boards should meet, and she got in there. The cat would not come out, and meowed for days on end. I don't know how she did not die of thirst. Later, I realized, she was coming out at night and eating and drinking dog food.

One day, I was talking on the phone with my son, and asked about the cat. It was still at it, and we were all on our last nerve. I told him that I was going to bait it with food, and shoot it with his BB gun and kill it. He has a Daisy Red Rider, from way back when.

He called an hour later, and said that the cat was dead. However, it had "crawled back under the cabinet, after he killed it." Well, we all know what that meant. It turns out, the cat was only hit in the shoulder, and crawled back out a few days later, and we put it outside. I, for one, absolutely, do not believe in making any animal suffer, whether it be killed as vermin, or for other purposes.

On the way home, the day of the cat shooting with the Red Rider, I stopped and bought a Crossman Pump Pistol. 10" barrel, a very sturdy pistol. Single shot, pellets only. 600 fps, compared to the Red Rider's 200 fps. I killed two of the cats from the back porch the day I got it. Now, here is where things get interesting.

My son killed 9 more cats with it in the following week, last week. I never thought that he would do it. He was sneaking around the house, sneaking on the roof of the house, and getting the drop on them, and dispatching them. All with head shots. Hm, I was impressed with the marksmanship. Now, over this, he is interested in hunting deer or hogs, and says that he understands the challenge and feeling that I get when I go hunting.

For one, I'm glad that he is enjoying shooting guns, even if it is a pellet pistol. Two, I'm really glad that it has him wanting to hunt game animals. Three, I knew at that instant, that he would not grow up to be a tree hugging, anti-.

Finally, just about the time that all of the cats have been done away with, another one that was still alive, had kittens, under the house. She dragged them to the front porch. My son cleaned them off, and put them back. He told me that he could not kill the babies like that. I was proud of that too. Well, of all things, a possum found the little cats and ate them. We had been seeing him around the house at night, and the baby cats disappeared. We put two and two together.
John 3:16 (I hope to see You over there.)

Page generated in 0.03436 seconds with 8 queries