Thread: GunVault Issues
View Single Post
Old September 17, 2011, 12:03 PM   #17
Torontogunguy

Pure and simple...
I have several safes (read approx 8 or 9) and only one is a GunVault. And the only one I have ever had an issue with is the GunVault. And that issue is battery life.

First set of batteries lasted two years, give or take. Replaced with brand new Duracells. They lasted three or four weeks. Replaced with a new set of Duracells. They lasted three or four weeks. I hear a distinct click as if the unit is trying to open but just not making it.

Bottom line as an electronics tech of some 40 years or more?

Caveat emptor! Let the buyer beware. GunVault has quite obviously got an issue with their electronics that causes them to draw current when they shouldn't be. I am going to measure that current load today or tomorrow to confirm.... not much point in putting in a wall wart unless you install it in place of the battery pack at the correct voltage. I would use a hefty wall wart as well; one that is protected from excess load and one that is good for perhaps an amp (1,000 ma.) in order to run cool under the constant small current draw.

Otherwise use this POS for something else that your life does not depend on and leave the key around somewhere attached to a big stick so it doesn't get lost. I'm thinking of using mine to store my gummy bears from the kids.

I sure wouldn't use it to store a firearm in, especially one that I was counting on to protect my family.

Period. End of story.

Oh. NOT end of story. My gun shops have stopped carrying them. GunVault is now posting on their website that they will not repair GunVaults. Need I say more? This is not rocket scientry. They are producing a POS that is unreliable. And when will you find this out? When you need your gun and go to open the door and hear nothing but a click. If you are going to be dumb enough to keep using the thing PLEASE PLEASE keep the key around and hidden (and remember where you put it).

Page generated in 0.02723 seconds with 8 queries