View Single Post
Old April 3, 2011, 07:47 AM   #8
Swede68

Pot Metal certainly isn´t a good material for guns in general. It can be an acceptable material for the right purposes. I do not consider self-defense one of those purposes under any circumstances, because a good self-defense weapon should pack the greatest amount of punch possible for its size, which meens better materials should be used. So far I think we are in perfect agreement gyvel...

But to me, the story you bring up tells me nothing other than that pot-metal corrodes under the right (wrong) circumstances. An all steel gun may not have disintegrated under the same circumstances, but it could very well have been frozen shut from corrosion and totally useless. Guns need at least a minimum of cleaning and oiling (even if never used) and service (if used). Guns are not maintenance free...

Anyway, I can give you countless examples of 35+ year old Arminius .22lr revolvers that function flawlessly despite only the barest neccessity of service and cleaning and pretty extensive use on the range with all sorts of .22lr ammo ranging from hi-velocity rounds to subsonic pistol rounds. But I am talking about guns for target practice. And I am talking about .22lr guns. I would have to be pretty desperate to carry a pot-metal gun for self-defense and I wouldn´t buy a pot-metal gun in any calibre with more energy than a .22lr. But that´s just me.

Anders Olsson

Page generated in 0.03319 seconds with 8 queries