View Single Post
Old November 17, 2010, 07:33 AM   #10
Skans

I seriously doubt that I would draw my pistol if an elderly man threatened me with a cane. But, my reasoning is a little different. It is quicker and easier for me to disarm the old man and take his cane away than it is for me to draw my pistol and shoot him (that's right, if I'm going to draw my pistol, I am going to shoot him, "pump him full of lead" or whatever else someone might call it).

Too often folks think that just because they are carrying a gun, the quickest easiest thing to do if someone threatens or attacks you with a weapon is to pull your weapon and shoot the attacker. I've practiced drills where an attacker comes up on you or even sneaks up on you and points a gun or knife point blank at your chest, head, etc. In this drill, we used two different techniques to eliminate the threat - one did not involve drawing your holstered weapon; the other did involve drawing your holstered weapon. After doing this drill many times and watching others do it as well, I concluded that trying to draw your weapon and put down the attacker was, by far, the inferior approach. FWIW, the age ranges of people participating in this exercise were from 40 to 60. Age didn't matter, and we timed each drill with a stopwatch.

Page generated in 0.02162 seconds with 8 queries