View Single Post
Old December 7, 1999, 09:58 AM   #5
Jack Straw

Matt,

Whistling definitely stops a deer that is moving quickly. I don't know that it will work on a badly spooked deer, but my dad has gotten a deer to stop many times (to the deer's detriment) with a sharp, loud whistle (which I can't do). On some of the Mossy Oak hunting videos, I recall seeing those guys grunt or even abruptly (not yelling) saying "hey" or "stop" to get big bucks to stop just long enough to get off a shot. Hey, if the deer is on its way out, what do you have to lose?

I hate to hear that you missed, but you absolutely did the right thing by investigating to make sure. Nothing makes my blood boil worse than hearing someone say "Well I shot, but I just know I missed". "Did you find any hair or blood or anything?" "I didn't even bother looking, I just know I missed". Just how much of a bother is it to walk even a couple hundred yards to find out?!? For Pete's sake, we take the only thing these animals have: their life. At the very least they deserve the respect of making sure that they aren't merely wounded or that their life wasn't taken in vain.

Okay, I'm through venting; sorry about the rant.

Matt, the world needs more hunters like you.

Jack

Page generated in 0.02427 seconds with 8 queries