View Single Post
Old June 8, 2017, 10:31 AM   #10
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Sabot rounds ... That is technology that we should be able to use in small arms right now. It's probably just a matter of time before someone makes this work well and puts a lot of conventional HV rounds in the shade.
Remington Accelerators.

done decades ago!!!

4000+fps from a .30-06!!

55gr .224 bullet in a plastic sabot, made in .30-30, .308 Win, and .30-06. No others that I know of. Haven't seen any in ages, I think Remington stopped making them a while back.

Turned the .30-30 into a .222, the .308 into a .22-250, and the 06 into something that beat out the .220 Swift for velocity.

The idea was to be able to turn your average deer rifle into a varmint rifle, simply by changing ammo. It didn't work well. Accuracy was the big problem. Most rifles grouped them ...poorly.

A few (apparently only a very few) would shoot them as well as they shot regular "deer" loads, and nobody's really happy with a minute of deer varmint rifle. And then there were complaints about plastic fouling, as well.

The 120mm cannon gets around the fouling issue by being smoothbore, and tank sighting systems are just a bit more refined and complex than what we usually mount on a rifle. And I would assume that minute of tank at 2000 meters is just slightly different from MOA at 100.

The key to sabots in modern small arms isn't getting something that works, its getting something that works WELL, (meaning high velocity AND accuracy) and so far, no one has.

Page generated in 0.03485 seconds with 8 queries