View Single Post
Old July 10, 2022, 09:37 AM   #17
BobCat45

40V50 Gary, I have no idea.

Apologies for late reply. Intended to go through some books and come up with a guess, but you didn't ask for a guess, you asked if I knew anything (which I don't).

If I were asked what alloy I'd suggest, I'd want to know whether it is a casting or machined from bar stock because some alloys that are chemically very similar and have almost identical properties have different numbers, cast vs wrought. What strength is required? Higher strength means more prone to brittle fracture instead of distortion when overloaded, and greater vulnerability to stress corrosion cracking, while low strength means early failure by yielding/distortion.

Also - and this is where I fail - what cost? More capable alloys often cost more than less capable, and more commonly used alloys are usually less expensive than special ones.

There was a guy here in the Houston area some years ago who had a company called Texas Longhorn Arms. He built Single Action revolvers - primarily Colt SAA replicas as I recall - using the cleanest (less trash/inclusions) aircraft-quality 4140 (or 4340 - not sure) he could get. It was expensive steel but it was 'the best' of its type, and his revolvers are sought-after. Problem is, it was better / more expensive than it needed to be - I've never heard of a SAA that failed because of 'dirty steel' - he just wanted the best and specified it, removing a possible failure mode that was not really a likely one, for a few cents a pound extra. That is something I'd do in his position, and it is arguably a poor business decision.

Long way so saying "I don't know" - but I bet Henry would give you a hint if you asked them.

Page generated in 0.03917 seconds with 8 queries