View Single Post
Old August 28, 2013, 02:46 AM   #58
peacefulgary

Quote:
Not necessarily. If I'm in a stationary position, I'd much rather have an AR-15.
But in a self defense situation you will not know if you are going to be stationary until the situation is over.
In other words, you just can't plan to be stationary.
Self defense situations are fluid, dynamic.

Quote:
If I've got several people trying to break down my front door for a home invasion, I'd MUCH rather be waiting for them with an AR-15.
And would this group of people really give you ample warning and time to retrieve your rifle, and then wait together on the front porch while one or two of them try to break down your front door?
This is pure fantasy.

Quote:
If I've got my family barricaded up in the master bedroom and we're waiting for the cops because someone broke into our house in the middle of the night, I'd MUCH rather be waiting for them with my AR-15 if they decide to come up the stairs.
And how did your entire family find themselves barricaded in the master bedroom?
A criminal broke in to your home and your family instantly all ran to the master bedroom where you, with your rifle, were waiting to defend them?

Quote:
I have a family. If some unknown number of people breaks in to my house in the middle of the night, I'm not going to run around my house room-clearing and try to engage them. I'm going to grab my handgun, gather my family, retreat to a safe room, call the cops, and then grab my AR-15 and prepare to shoot anyone who might threaten us before the cops can get here.
How exactly are you going to "gather your family in the middle of the night" without going room to room?
BTW, you should call the cops first.
That way, at least help is on the way regardless of whatever else transpires.
Otherwise you might get killed while trying to gather your family or while trying to retreat to the safe room, and a 911 call may never be made.
Call 911 first.

Quote:
An AR-15 is FAR more terminally effective, will penetrate less through walls, and is much easier to shoot fast and accurately.
More terminally effective?
Maybe, and maybe not.
From Vietnam to the present plenty of folks have taken multiple hits from a AR type of weapon and lived to tell the tale.
It's a good rifle system, but not really that impressive from a self defense stand point.

Penetrate less through walls?
Maybe, and maybe not.

Easier to shoot fast and accurately?
Not necessarily.
Especially when being fired inside a home and possibly with one hand.

I was a soldier for six years and I am definitely familiar with the AR type rifle, and for in home self defense it is just not that great.

Page generated in 0.02595 seconds with 8 queries