View Single Post
Old April 5, 2019, 08:03 AM   #64
publius42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkbite View Post
That is completely RIDICULOUS.

So, my buddy comes over and i want to show him a new pistol i just bought. I cant let him hold it? How do i handle guns at a gun show or store?
Is it an assault weapon?

https://www.congress.gov/116/bills/s...S-116s66is.xml

There are exemptions to transfer provisions for "assault" weapons

Quote:
(t) (1) Beginning on the date that is 90 days after the date of enactment of the Assault Weapons Ban of 2019, it shall be unlawful for any person who is not licensed under this chapter to transfer a grandfathered semiautomatic assault weapon to any other person who is not licensed under this chapter, unless a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, or licensed dealer has first taken custody of the grandfathered semiautomatic assault weapon for the purpose of complying with subsection (s). Upon taking custody of the grandfathered semiautomatic assault weapon, the licensee shall comply with all requirements of this chapter as if the licensee were transferring the grandfathered semiautomatic assault weapon from the licensee’s inventory to the unlicensed transferee.

“(2) Paragraph (1) shall not apply to a temporary transfer of possession for the purpose of participating in target shooting in a licensed target facility or established range if—

“(A) the grandfathered semiautomatic assault weapon is, at all times, kept within the premises of the target facility or range; and

“(B) the transferee is not known to be prohibited from possessing or receiving a grandfathered semiautomatic assault weapon.

“(3) For purposes of this subsection, the term ‘transfer’—

“(A) shall include a sale, gift, or loan; and

“(B) does not include temporary custody of the grandfathered semiautomatic assault weapon for purposes of examination or evaluation by a prospective transferee.
So you can let your friend hold it IF he has in mind buying it. Without that thought on his mind, it's not OK.

Similarly, you can transfer such a weapon for target shooting at a licensed target facility or established range. We shoot in my back yard sometimes. I doubt that makes it an established range for this purpose. That means that if that bill were to pass, we could not let friends shoot my wife's assault weapon (a Ruger 10-22 with the scary telescoping stock) in our back yard without going to town for a background check.

Common sense gun control, in other words.

Page generated in 0.04697 seconds with 8 queries