Thread: .243 Silencer??
View Single Post
Old May 7, 2009, 06:59 PM   #17
Bartholomew Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowfin
What Gemtech did in suing AAC and getting the ATF to impose what is referred to as the "GemTax" is much, much worse.
What are you talking about? I don't follow Internet drama all that closely; but my understanding is that the "GemTax" refers to Gemtech sending the ATF a letter asking whether they can repair a suppressor where the outer tube has been damaged without "manufacturing" a new suppressor and requiring another $200 transfer tax.

ATF answered "No, you cannot." This should not have come as any surprise since ATF had already answered this same question in 1999 and had given the same answer. So I am not sure how Gemtech is to blame for this since A) They did not make the ruling and B) They weren't even the first person to ask the question. All they did was ask what the law was.

As for Gemtech suing AAC, are you sure you aren't confusing SureFire, LLC v. Advanced Armament Corp., SACV 08-1405 DOC (C.D. Cal. 2008) with Gemtech?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosshair
"I have a source that tells me that their cans are made of plumbing parts." is libel, as you are asserting that your statement is factual and not just an opinion.
Strictly speaking, even if the story is false, the only thing being asserted is that the poster has a source. If he does have a source and if he reasonably believes that source to be true, then that isn't libel.

As far as AAC, I won't be doing any business with them. I've read the original controversy. Lots of small firearms companies seem to do just fine either posting their response in the forum or even not responding at all without involving lawyers. AAC sued in hopes of stopping that guy from speaking his mind. I don't have any interest in doing business with any company that is that quick on the draw.

I look forward to seeing the case though. I don't think that is going to turn out near as well for AAC as just leaving it alone would have.

Page generated in 0.04573 seconds with 8 queries