View Single Post
Old March 8, 2012, 03:00 PM   #7
F. Guffey

4T4Mag, Yes you can, not only that, with a RCBS shell holder (#3 30/06 type for example and mileage may vary) the full length sizer die can form/sizes for short chambers that are .012 thousands shorter than minimum length/.017 thousands shorter than a go-gage length chamber all the way up, in thousands, to a practice .014 thousands over a minimum length size case/ .009 thousands longer than a go-gage length chamber. All of my full length sizer dies are versatile full length sizer dies. I have neck sizer dies, I have small base dies, I have case forming dies. my favorite die is the versatile full length sizer die and then, next, comes the trim/form die.

Again, the one thing I can not do is restore a case that has been fired 5 times back to minimum length to start over, every time, those cases have been 5 times.

It is much easier to determine the length of the chamber first, then size. Problem, convincing someone it is possible is almost impossible. I do not use fractional turns of the die, I do not wild guesses as in degree of turns converted to thousands, it has never been necessary for those that verify adjustments, as in 1/4 turn = .017 thousands, if the gap is verified the time to make the adjustment was wasted, I go straight to verify.

Then securing the lock ring to the die complicates adjusting the die, Dillon and Lee lock rings come without set screws, Dillon and Pacific dies came with a integral hex nut on the top of the die, the ideal is to hold the die adjustment with one wrench and secure/tighten the lock nut with the other.

Then there is determining if the press sized the case before lowering the ram, again, there are times the press wins and then there are times the 5 time fired cases whip the press.

F. Guffey

Page generated in 0.02922 seconds with 8 queries