View Single Post
Old February 5, 2009, 06:21 AM   #5
Hammer1

On my African trips, this is always discussed with the PH. This is very important because the PH has to handle any problems you unintentionally cause long after you're gone. The amounts and types are discussed. Who is to actually do the presenting of the tip ? It is important that alcohol not be involved.

For the trackers, skinners, cook, laundry, etc, the amounts average in the $25 each range but does vary by station.

As to the PH, we always leave cash in the neighborhood of 20% of his personal fees plus...

(1) Unused ammo and empty brass (makes good trading material even if your specific PH does not have that caliber of rifle personally). Heck, have used my own previously left ammo when there on a later trip. (Assumes factory ammo or handloaded ammo that is full-length sized and will chamber in any SAAMI chamber.)

(2) Over-the-counter medicines that are not needed for the trip home. Was surprised how much this was appreciated the first time I did this.

With prior discussions before the trip but not with the actual recipient, we also brought the PH's family gifts which were presented on the second night of the visit. Again, thought given before the trip as to helpful gifts and ones that would not cause troubles after we were gone. Brought his teenage children music CDs popular with that age group. Brought his wife a laptop computer capable of internet connections in Africa. Brought the PH himself commonly-needed repair and replacement parts for his gun (knew the makes and models beforehand). Brought magazines and books to leave for coffee table and blind reading.

Where the actual cost of the trip is paid (not the tips) can be important. Some PHs want to be paid in a bank in the U.S. as opposed to in Africa.

Be a gentleman and a good ambassador for your country. It will be reciprocated.

Page generated in 0.02465 seconds with 8 queries