View Single Post
Old February 28, 2013, 06:04 PM   #22
KMyerK98

44Mag 44Special

Used to have a Rossi 1894 in 44 mag. Since I load my own stuff and 44 special is legal for deer where I live (pistol ammo in a long gun) I put together some 44special with the 265 grain FTX flex tip hornady bullets. The 265's are too long to get through the action in a 44mag case. If you want to use 44 mag you have to load up with the 225FTX for clearance.

NEVER LOAD POINTED BULLETS IN TUBULAR MAGAZINES, except the FTX - it is designed soft and won't chain react with the ones in front in your tube.

I loaded them hot for 44 special since this is a 44mag chamber. They have mild recoil and hit very hard being 265 grain. Pretty accurate with iron peep rear site. I can get about 3 inch groups at 100yds. Good enough for close in deer. Boom-SPAT! is the usual sound at the 100 yard range, you can hear them whacking the backstop!!

My old-old hornady handloading manual mentions that you can shoot any 44 mag pistol round in a rifle and gain about 200-300 fps. But never take rifle specific rounds and shoot in the pistols. My old manual has some rifle specific loads that were pretty hot.

So if you go with 44mag you also have the option of 44mag pistol AND 44 special, which is a delight to shoot target and practice. Or just load up a heavy flex tip in 44 special and boom away. If you only buy handgun ammo and don't reload then you can expect that 200-300 fps bonus in your lever gun.

Page generated in 0.03154 seconds with 8 queries