View Single Post
Old May 5, 2019, 06:42 PM   #6
Unclenick
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejonestkd
I'll second Unclenicks recommendation…
I think you got me confused with Nick C S. You have to watch out about doing that or you may give him a fat head.

CAUTION: The following post includes loading data beyond or not covered by currently published maximums for this cartridge. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assumes any liability for any damage or injury resulting from the use of this information.

Flintlock.50,

Hands down, the cleanest powder I've ever fired in 45 Auto was Trail Boss. Since you cannot compress it without raising the pressure, you'll have to seat a DEWC148-grain wadcutter about a tenth to an eighth of an inch out of the case mouth and crimp into the bullet to fit about 3.4 grains in to get to around 750 fps with a 6" revolver. If you are going for a hollow base wadcutter, you'll have to go further out as you will have a hard time getting any powder up into the base cavity.

As a second approach, realizing that a lot of the mess made by Bullseye is its graphite coating flying around everywhere, try one of the non-graphited fast powders. I would look at Hodgdon Clays. About 2 to 2.2 grains is where I like target velocity (750 fps-ish). The max is just 2.5 grains with this very quick powder.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Page generated in 0.03074 seconds with 8 queries