View Single Post
Old August 12, 2012, 01:31 PM   #7
Dwight55

SirHerc, . . . allowing that your training gets you "up to snuff" in the ability and safety department, . . . I can only see at this point that you need one or more of the "finer points" added.

The first and most important is the weapon you carry: it needs to be big enough to do "your" job, . . . and light/small enough not to be an impediment to your tasks.

That said, . . . take a real good look at those available to you. If you have an 8 inch barrelled S&W model 29 in .44 Mag, . . . that is probably not a good choice unless you are the size of Clint Eastwood or the Duke.

Conversely, . . . a .25 double derringer may be too little gun in many gun fights.

The most important decision about the gun, . . . is it big enough to win the gunfight I most likely would get into?

My decision at 175 lbs / 6'1" with bad knee, arthritis, and minor heart problems, . . . is a full size / commander size 1911, all steel, 8+1 rounds, carried C&L, . . .

It is simply because sometimes I have to go to a rough part of some places where there rough people who play rough games and play for keeps. I have a caliber big enough and with enough magazine to compete should I get involved. My Colt Det Spec .38 just doesn't have enough muscle, . . . and my high capacity 9mm auto only has capacity, . . . not power.

If they made an 8 round .357 revolver no thicker than my 1911, . . . I would own and carry it, . . . so my 1911 is perfect for me.

You need to find what is perfect for you. Most likely, . . . it SHOULD BE the single handgun you regularly shoot the best with. After all, . . . you cannot miss quick enough or good enough to be a winner in a gunfight.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!

Page generated in 0.02665 seconds with 8 queries