View Single Post
Old March 25, 2013, 02:31 PM   #8
tahunua001

ok there there are a few things I would like to point out.
1. what is your definition of light hunting? if you plan of killing deer and varmints then the 308 is more than sufficient.
2. it's M1 GARAND, named after the man that invented it.
3. the M1A is based on the M14 which was essentially a M1 garand, converted to 7.62x51mm and given a detachable magazine.
4. 1000 yards is an incredible challenge even for seasoned shooters. contrary to popular belief a bullet travels in an arc and depending on the range you zero at your bullet can drop up to 15 feet depending on caliber. also to put things in perspective, a 1 inch group at 100 yards increases to a 10 inch group at 1000(under perfect conditions, IE no wind, no change in weather conditions, no flies landing on your forehead while shooting etc) so you are combining the necessary skills of shooting less than an inch groups at 100 yards and judging holdover based on unknown distance. those abilities are just not in the cards for a first time rifle owner, it takes years to do that, 500 yards is a much better goal to set for yourself.
5. 3006 and 308 have identical ballistics characteristics with 308 just starting with a little lower velocity.

Last edited by tahunua001; March 26, 2013 at 10:54 AM.

Page generated in 0.06528 seconds with 8 queries