View Single Post
Old August 14, 2012, 03:44 PM   #23
lee n. field

Quote:
So I, just a few days ago, purchased my first firearm.. It was complete impulse, and am beginning to wonder if it was a poor choice. I haven't received it yet and am still going through the waiting period.. But in the mean time I am doing some research... and it isn't going well. On my receipt I first searched the model on it, Taurus Model 88, But that doesn't add up with what I bought because it's chambered in 38 but the Taurus model 88 seems to be in 357. only.
Guns chambered for .357 can shoot .38 Special.

I'm not pulling up anything on the Model 88 right now, except one reference that said it's an old (late 80s) .38 Special. (See here.)

I spot checked some older print catalogs, and didn't find anything there, either.

Quote:
Plus the serial number isn't coming up with any results when I search for it on the Taurus website.
The lookup tool doesn't always work.

Quote:
So I'm completely confused with what I actually have. Not to mention I think I severely overpaid.. But I'm afraid to actually know by how much. Anyway, I would greatly appreciate some guidance here.
So, how much?

Quote:
Don't be in a rush / maybe pick up some books on revolvers - like Taurus and S&W and Ruger...that'll give you a crosssection of info.
The Gun Digest Book of the Revolver. (More accurately it would be titled "The Gun Digest Book of the Modern Double Action Defensive Revolver")

Yep, first handgun's a learning experience. We all start somewhere.

I would also suggest going through Jim March's revolver checkout procedure.

Other thoughts: Taurus' manual advises against dry firing. Pay attention to that. My old Model 66 from that era would mash firing pin springs into unusability. Get and use snap caps for dry firing practice.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "

Last edited by lee n. field; August 14, 2012 at 03:57 PM.

Page generated in 0.03217 seconds with 8 queries