Thread: Women in IDPA
View Single Post
Old August 18, 2007, 03:20 PM   #1
mjoy64

Women in IDPA

Today was a good day. I started shooting local IDPA matches about 4 months ago. I enjoyed it so much I've been trying to get my wife to give it a go. Today she did.

She was not particularly good, fast, competitive, etc. but.... she had a great time. The SO's were very accomodating and helpful in making her feel safe and offering her suggestions/instruction. In one day she soaked in things like... what an FTN is, how to clear a malfunction, tactical sequence vs tactical priority, shooting from cover, slicing the pie, shooting on the move, shooting one handed (and actually on the move as well) , etc.

I know IDPA is a game and is not real life but... I feel that my wife is going to be better prepared to deal with a situation if one arises. Sadly she was the only female shooter participating in the event. I would love to see more females out there and would encourage the husbands/fathers of wives/daughers that are inclined to shoot to get them out there.

After the match my wife and I went out and ate a little Mexican food for lunch and had a great discussion on the days events. She was glad that I had encouraged her to get out and give IDPA a try. In fact she came home and joined IDPA (on their web site).

My biggest problem now is she's eyeing my S&W M&P 9 because she can drop the magazine from it easier than her Glock 19.

Page generated in 0.03636 seconds with 8 queries