View Single Post
Old January 3, 2021, 07:57 PM   #14
LeverGunFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSecondBest View Post
For indoor shooting you should be using muffs rated for 28-31. If you add plugs under the muffs you can get as much as 36 NRR. You’re not using enough protection. You’re way under protected. I shot for many years without enough protection and now I have a 50% mid-range hearing loss. Your story is very familiar to me. Get some better muffs or end up like me!
This is excellent advice. The earmuffs used by the OP are rated for a 22dB NRR (noise reduction rating); 25 dB NRR earmuffs would cut the sound pressure level to one half, 28 dB earmuffs would cut the sound pressure level to one quarter, and 31 dB NRR muffs cut the sound pressure level to one eighth as compared to the 22 dB NRR earmuffs. Quite a difference.

One characteristic of electronic earmuffs that is often ignored is their reaction time - how long it takes to detect and block the sound of the firearm. Even though it might seem to be a few milliseconds, that delay does add up over many shots in some level of hearing damage. That's why there are high dollar electronic earmuffs, they have much faster reaction times and do a better job of protecting hearing, particularly for high volume shooters.

Page generated in 0.03240 seconds with 8 queries