View Single Post
Old December 4, 2017, 03:07 PM   #3
jmr40

I've had a 223 Ruger American since they 1st came out and have since bought Predators in 308 and 6.5 Creedmoor. The 1st run of 223 magazines were defective, but Ruger quickly replaced them and newer magazines seem to work just fine. I've never had any problems with any of the other magazines nor have I ever read of anyone else having issues either.

But I'll admit, they don't inspire confidence. The new Ranch rifle in 7.62X39 uses metal Mini-30 magazines and that may be my next purchase. But if they can do it with 7.62X39 I think they will offer it in 223 using Mini-14 mags soon. I got a discount card with all 3 rifles that I used to buy several spare mags for each rifle. After the discount I think it worked out to around $30 each and the mags for 6.5 and 308 are interchangeable so I have plenty. If one does ever break I have plenty to keep going and Ruger will replace it for free.

All 3 of mine will shoot well under 1 MOA with quality ammo. The 6.5 and 223 are usually closer to 1/2 MOA while the 308 is closer to 3/4 MOA. But you have to use good ammo.

These rifles don't even have a traditional recoil lug. The metal V blocks they use do a very good job of shooting accurately even with a flexible stock. It isn't a big deal to give the forend a more generous free float and I've done so on all of mine. Mine never touched the barrel, but I opened them all up to allow extra room just in case.

Changing the stock can't possibly make it shoot any more accurately. It will allow you to use better magazines. But if you're not careful you'll end up with $1000 invested in a $350 rifle that doesn't shoot a bit better than if you left it stock.

I have nicer, more expensive rifles that I trust more for reliability and if driving cross country for an expensive out of state hunt one of those are what I'd take. At least for now, but the more I use these guns the more confidence I gain in their reliability and they shoot as accurately, if not better than my "nice" guns. I've used them locally where if one were to fail I wouldn't feel any loss. But so far they are doing great.

Winston Churchill

Page generated in 0.02551 seconds with 8 queries