Thread: Roll crimp die?
View Single Post
Old May 27, 2022, 08:42 AM   #17
Unclenick
Staff

Some unusual situations arise. A friend of mine got a titanium snubby in 45 Colt that can't shoot 250-grain bullets, including commercial loads, without getting bullet pulling that jams the cylinder rotation. And this is a big guy with big hands and about 300 lbs behind the gun. He was stuck with 200-grain bullet loads in that gun until he got a Profile Crimp die.

The same might well apply to anyone limp-wristing a magnum revolver, or who, for some physical reason, can't get a firm enough grip or can't put enough weight behind it.

In any case, I like the Profile Crimp Die, not so much for the need of a stronger crimp, but because the slight taper preceding the roll crimp means I don't have to roll it quite as hard to get the same amount of metal hanging onto the bullet. That extends case mouth reloading life a bit when shooting lead bullets with a crimp groove. I've not compared the result in jacketed bullets, as the case mouth would press against the cannelure no less hard, so I'm not expecting it would make a case life difference there.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Page generated in 0.02792 seconds with 8 queries