View Single Post
Old March 1, 2013, 12:16 PM   #40
rclark

The .45 Colt is a reloader's cartridge ... Even the .454 is as well for economy. So if you don't reload, those calibers are out. .44Mag/44Spec is expensive if you don't reload but our more available on the shelf (well, not currently but usually!!!) . Now I reload, and I still don't like to expend 100s of rounds of .45 Colt on just cans in a session. That's where the o' reliable .22 comes in. Expending 200-500 rounds at a time is no biggie and good practice. Really you need (at least) TWO revolvers. One for small game and plinking (camp/range/gopher gun) and other for defense and larger game (your range/hiking/fishing/camping/backup gun). If you are restricted to one gun either the .22 or .357 will work... but you are compromising either way. Of course it should be a Ruger Single Action Hah! (personal preference).

Oh for a 'general' purpose revolver the barrel length should be at least 4 5/8". Shorties (2"-3") are fine for close work and concealment, but not for target shooting or varminting in 'general'. My preference is 5 1/2" as a good compromise.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.

Last edited by rclark; March 1, 2013 at 12:22 PM.

Page generated in 0.04618 seconds with 8 queries