View Single Post
Old November 6, 2008, 04:02 PM   #92
NRAhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7677
NRAhab,
Matt and I have been to Rodmans Neck and I have the utmost respect for those guys due to the number of officers they train. I'd have to say that the number of rounds the average officer fires their first year would be between 1k and 5k. Which is better then some agencies which only qualify once a year and provide no additional training.
Fair enough, but even if they shoot your hypothetical max at 5k, that's only in their first year. After that, the only mandatory rounds downrange for the average cop are still going to be 100 per year.

Meanwhile, an entry level IDPA shooter who shoots only one match a month and doesn't practice at all except for that match will shoot 100 rounds in a month just for the match. If you average that out of the course of 20 years, and assume that the IDPA shooter never gets more into the sport, then in 20 years your average NYPD cop will have burned up a mandatory 7000 rounds (20 years times 100 rounds a year + 5k in training). Meanwhile, the casual IDPA guy has burned up 24,000 rounds.

Now, I'm not knocking NYPD officers here. They working hard doing a thankless job. However, if they're only required to burn 100 rounds a year, and in so doing they don't get any weak or strong hand only practice (both of which are components of the IDPA qualifier, which btw is 90 rounds) then there is definitely something wrong with that training which should be addressed. I mean, a guy who shoots IDPA once a month will have more strong hand only practice than your average NYPD officer after shooting the IDPA qualifier course.

Page generated in 0.02376 seconds with 8 queries