View Single Post
Old November 5, 2008, 06:27 PM   #79
Deaf Smith

Quote:
In Applegate's case, he was taught by those which had experience and the curriculum was constantly revised by those that went into harms way and gained experience first hand. Applegate incorporated the experience he did not personally have into his curriculum by those who had it. And, the thing that is often not addressed is the mental preparation (mindset) that was given to these soldier in the House of Horrors and with other types of training.

And Jeff Cooper, who WAS combat experienced, and who did study Applegate and Fairbrain, did get feedback from students who survived shootings (as does Tom Givens.) Something to think about.

Oh, and 7677, I've been under three grand masters, all Korean, two ex-military. One, my present one for 15 years, is an ex-ROK who was in Vietnam, in combat, and even once, when his unit was overran guarding a bridge, used a RTO handset to beat one of the NVA to death when they overran his position. He also had two people try to rob him, one with a knife. He overcame them and held one of them for the police.

Just Saturday he had us doing elevator defense. That is, defending yourself in a crowed elevator. Definatly no kicking. It was pretty interesting. Now that's the TKD I study.

Page generated in 0.01986 seconds with 8 queries