View Single Post
Old April 11, 2013, 10:53 AM   #13
F. Guffey

Bart B.

Posts: 1,892 A friend of mine reloaded the same .308 Win. Federal brass case 57 times full length sizing it every time. All bullets shot into about 3/8ths inch at 100 yards. Maximum load used; 42 grains of IMR4895 under Sierra 168's and Fed. 210 primers. No loosening of the primer pocket whatsoever. Case was never annealed. Chamber was a standard SAAMI spec one; no tight neck.

I had a friend tell me the same story, I replied with “FANTASTIC”, I was at the Market Hall Gun Show in Dallas, TX. same thing, a proud owner approached a builder of very fine rifles with a claim the rifle he purchases had a head space problem, I said nothing. After they decided on a plan the proud owner moved down the isle and I asked to see his case with all the problems, he was more than happy to oblige. I asked him if that was the only case he had and I asked him if he was reloading it over and over and over etc., I offered to form 200 cases for his chamber so he could spread the abuse over a greater number of cases, then about that time the builder of the rifle asked to see the case again. Then they decided they needed a third nonbiased opinion, he was sent off to have the case checked by a third part with the instructions no mention would be made of my opinion and he was not to know who built the rifle. After a short period of time he returned, upset, seems the third party pulled the case apart and measured the thickness of the case body, .0025, at that point the third party informed him .0025 is a good thickness for paper but did not work for cases. The third party then asked him if that was the only case he had, the third party wanted to know if he was loading that one case over and over and over etc.. he aslo suggested the case could not be sized without pulling apart when the ram was lowered etc..

We decided he must have been one of those bench resters. The proud owner never returned to have the rifle checked. He was proud of that case, he was not happy when the third party pulled it apart.

F. Guffey

Last edited by F. Guffey; April 11, 2013 at 10:55 AM. Reason: remove an a

Page generated in 0.02691 seconds with 8 queries