View Single Post
Old February 24, 2013, 10:10 AM   #7

Seating depth

I feel that seating depth is an extremely under valued component to accuracy improvement. I have to admit that is normally the last adjustment I make but, I do play with seating depth. If you use Barnes bullets they recommend seating depths .030 to .070 off the lands. As far as traditional jacketed bullets, I like .010 to .015 as a starting point. As some have indicated, you're just starting to reload.....so what. RCBS makes a precision mic to measure just what you're asking for. Some have made their own measurement tool by using an empty round (case and bullet w/o powder or primer). It is very important to remember what you are measuring is the point at which the ogive is contacting the rifiling and backing off from there. So, it is also important to remember that when you switch bullet weights, types, or brands you will have to remeasure for each that you reload. Look what seating depth can do with Barnes bullets.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=516111

Deer are amazing creatures....so please don't burn the sauteed onions and I'll pass on the steak sauce, thank you.

Page generated in 0.03434 seconds with 8 queries