View Single Post
Old March 12, 2013, 07:25 AM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

Need an interesting suggestion for chambering new / old Enfield Martini...

went to the local gun show last weekend ( the only one I buy a couple tables at ) working by myself, doesn't leave me the chance to do much shopping, but while packing up at the end of the show, I came accross an old Enfield carbine, that had been rechambered in 303 British... wood was really nice ( long forearm ) had the bayonette lug, but had a couple issues with the extractor / breach block ( which my retired builder buddy assured me is no trouble to fix, as he loves working on these )... I got it for a very good price, since it had some issues, & it was the very end of the show...

so... the bore is pretty bad on the 303 barrel ( which my buddy said was a common conversion from 577-450 around the time of the WW1...

so I'm looking for suggestions on calibers... one note, I'd like to keep the front barrel band / bayonette lug, & my buddy say's it would be easier to keep the barrel diameter correct ( with out getting too thin ) if I stayed close to the current bore size...

so right now, I'm thinking about 30-40 Kraig, 30-30, 32-40, maybe 444 Marlin as the biggest ( not sure if we can keep a safe barrel thickness without modifying the bayonette lug with the 444 ) I currently have dies for the 30-30, 32-40, & 444, & already have Martini's in 45-70 & 50-70, & Rolling Blocks in 32-40, & 40-65...

I'm thinking long straight or tapered cases, but open for thoughts or suggestions ???

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; March 12, 2013 at 07:58 AM.

Page generated in 0.03354 seconds with 8 queries