View Single Post
Old September 9, 2022, 12:59 PM   #14
Adventurer 2

Well, I finally attended an Appleseed. Required to wear long pants and long sleeves. It was a hot two days. I brought an extreme cooler loaded with water and food that I left in the bed of my truck making it easy to venture to during breaks.
Lost some skin on my support elbow from the prone position. I was using a canvas sheet over the concrete pad. My girlfriend used my padded shooting mat and she still lost some skin off her elbows.
I learned the proper way to use a sling from the sitting and prone positions. I’m sure I’m not going to wrap a sling loop around my bicep in the future but I do appreciate knowing how to do it. I am a hasty sling shooter, always have been and probably always will be.
The time constraints would make a bolt action rifle a challenge so I brought my 10/22. It’s scoped with a 2-7 Vortex scope. My 10/22 has a match barrel and is ammo sensitive (prone to not extracting a round). My 10/22 shoots Aguilla and CCI standard/target to the same point of aim. I brought an ammo can filled with CCI standard velocity ammo.

The standards from 25 Meters:

Stage 1
Standing
1 mag / 10 rounds
2 minutes

Stage 2
Start standing to fire from sitting
2 mags / 2 & 8
5 shots each target (2 targets)
55 seconds

Stage 3
Start standing to fire from the prone
2 mags / 2 & 8
3, 3, 4 shots per target (3 targets)
65 seconds

Stage 4
Prone
1 mag / 10 rounds
2, 2, 3, 3 shots per target (4 targets)
5 minutes

You can score 0, 3, 4, 5 points for each shot. Those points are doubled on Stage 4.

210-250 Expert (Rifleman)
170-209 Sharpshooter
125-169 Marksman
0-124 Unqualified

Stage 2 was the stage that had people failing to meet the time constraint.

I earned the “Rifleman” badge on the first day (also scored perfect on the Redcoat target).
Two thumbs up for Project Appleseed – the low price for two days of instruction and history can’t be beat. Plus the cost included an Appleseed t-shirt. Respect and thanks to the people who volunteer to run Appleseeds.

Page generated in 0.02694 seconds with 8 queries