View Single Post
Old February 20, 2019, 01:39 AM   #17
ROCK6

Interesting read, and relevant to my current occupation, but still applicable in certain locations and occupations back home. I currently have a low-speed, high-drag advisor job. Nothing sexy, no kicking down doors, or rolling in the dirt anymore. I've used a few different "punch knives", although push-daggers would work equally as well (applicable laws for some locations back home). I've used the KaBar TDI (smaller version), Benchmade Azeria, and the "Colonel" from Colonel Blades. The latter is a beast of a punch knife and I love the design.

I carry the punch knife on my belt for weak-hand draw.

I also have the Benchmade SOCP dagger on my plate carrier, also for weak-hand draw, but for more vertical room draw, vice the more horizontal draw of the punch knife. Maybe not fitting for this particular discussion, but the punch or push knives have proven extremely effective in tight-quarters use.

The challenge for me is always wearing bulky body armor in tight confines or seated situations. Those were my concerns and quite applicable for back home (minus the armor).

As to training, I did some draws in my vehicle in full kit with a cardboard box as my "threat". I also set up a chair out behind our shelter with a cardboard (or wooden pallet) "threat" on either side, directly in front, and one behind me. It's pretty difficult to draw in close quarters when your arms are pinned in tight. I concluded I need about 4-6" of horizontal draw space for my punch knife, and about the same for a vertical deployment of the SOCP dagger.

Nothing was sexy or cool. Just draw, punch/stab to create space and then draw my sidearm.

The other concern was if pressed against a wall, basically pinning my strong-side arm or keeping me from accessing my sidearm. Being able to use my weak-side hand to draw and "punch" to create space was my focus.

Needless to say, I stabbed a lot of cardboard and a few wooden pallets:

Freedom of movement is critical and something to always be cognizant of as you assess every situation. I'm a firm believer that I want a pointy object quickly and easily accessible by my weak-hand that I can train with for the sole purpose of getting a threat off me if my strong-arm is pinned or my handgun is inaccessible. Once space is created, if I can get away, that's my preference, if not, I want enough space to engage with my handgun (close engagement training is just as important).

ROCK6

Page generated in 0.03947 seconds with 8 queries