View Single Post
Old November 16, 2018, 12:02 AM   #9
briandg

I feel that I am fairly well prepared. situational awareness is the key to being prepared. I keep my pistol in a safe and easy to reach position and my general distaste for being close to anyone makes it pretty unlikely that someone will be able to sneak an attack on me. I know where every person in the area is, and what they are doing, unless I am in such a crowd that I can't possibly track all of the faces and hands. when I go into any public place, my eyes are always roving and my hands are always ready to do anything that I may need to do. I believe that unless it is a blind sucker punch from behind by an attacker who literally snuck up on me in stealth, I will be at an equal footing.

You can stand in line at an atm and ignore the lines, and maybe be fine, but even there you may be jumped. In a store with only a dozen people there, anyone can keep close tabs on the people around and determine rather easily who among them are wrapped up in whether the price of the cheese is too high or what size shoes they wear.

Carrying a weapon is only useful if you are aware enough to know when it has to be used, and that depends only upon yourself and the people around you.

When a guy ran into a C store a few years ago, I was alone with a clerk. he went straight to a rack of sun dresses and started feeling them. It made me wonder, who goes into a store and looks around, then goes straight to something that is rather incongruous?

The usual thing that you should be thinking is that he isn't there to buy a drink, he is either there to buy a dress, or he is stalling. why is he stalling? we don't know, but it is an absolute necessity to understand whether or not he is stalling for some reason and what that reason may be.

It was a remote store in a low part of town. I waited outside with my phone until he walked back out empty handed. I didn't ever determine why he went into a store and felt the fabric of a ten dollar dress. In any case, I had been aware and could have done whatever was necessary, and may have survived. I don't know what else I could have done. No amount of equipment or training will save your life if you don't care enough to proactively look for threats.

Think of the aegis missile system. That computer can track hundreds of objects at one time and act upon them with almost complete autonomy when the algorithms in the programming recognize danger. When one of the blips comes shipbound at a few hundred mph it will send a signal to the human component suggesting that the button be pushed.

We aren't computers. But the finger on the button makes the decision. The guy at the controls allows the system to track all of the chaff, and when the computer signals a possible threat, he takes over the observation and decision process. Where the computer might suggest firing on a jet ski, we have the benefit of knowing that it's just a jet ski with a blond, not a drone craft crammed with explosives. So, we must allow ourselves to observe like the computer and then act on it like a human when our "spider sense" is triggered, and use all of our faculties to act on the information that we have casually observed.

I'm tired. If this isn't entirely clear, it's because I'm tired.

Page generated in 0.03289 seconds with 8 queries