View Single Post
Old November 21, 2013, 01:07 PM   #33
dgludwig

Truth is, I don't like the looks of any scope-I think they detract from the appearance of most hunting rifles and almost always adversely affect their handling qualities. Which isn't to say that I don't appreciate the many advantages good optics offer and that I don't have scopes mounted on many (well, most ) of my rifles. A necessary evil in my mind and, accordingly, I have several wicked rifles.

For these reasons, if I am choosing a scope for a hunting rifle based on appearance, I would look for the most compact, streamlined variant practical from a company known for good glass and dependability. I also prefer the finish to match the type of finish on the rifle; which is why I prefer the old Weaver steel-tubed scopes having a blued finish to mount on rifles with much the same type of bluing. I do like the contrast offered by putting a gloss blue scope on a s/s rifle.

For me, it's also important to affix the scope to strong but streamlined mounts and rings. Hard to beat the Ruger "built-in" mount on their Model 77/MKII receivers (and other rifles having the same feature) for keeping a minimalist configuration. I also want a scope mounted as low as practical-which is why I have a strong aversion to "see-thru" type rings.

I always thought that the old Bausch & Lomb design where the adjustments were contained in the mount with the scope having only an etched reticle on the lens was a good idea-except those mounts were necessarily awfully bulky.

Finally, I doubt very much that I will ever mount a scope on a handgun-well, maybe on a Contender...

Page generated in 0.02481 seconds with 8 queries