View Single Post
Old September 30, 2012, 11:00 AM   #6
Gary L. Griffiths

I ran into the same problem with Hornady dies in .223. Broke the decapping pin, bent the zip spindle and broke the expander ball on the 2nd case I ran through. It was a Prvi Partisan .223 match case. No crimped primer. When I got it back from Hornady, bent the zip spindle on a Remington .223 case after about a dozen cases. Managed to bend it back.

The problem is that Hornady apparently makes their zip spindles out of cheap malleable metal. I figured part of the problem might be that a .22 would be thinner and therefore weaker than a .30 or larger. Apparently .30s are also weak. Like the OP, I have a .45-70 die that works fine.

My solution will be to replace the Hornady dies with a 3-die set from Dillon with a solid steel decapping pin.
Violence is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and valorous feeling which believes that nothing is worth violence is much worse. Those who have nothing for which they are willing to fight; nothing they care about more than their own craven apathy; are miserable creatures who have no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the valor of those better than themselves. Gary L. Griffiths (Paraphrasing John Stuart Mill)

Page generated in 0.03621 seconds with 8 queries