View Single Post
Old September 8, 2012, 07:47 PM   #19
gwnorth

Winchester is nothing more then the name now. Olin owns the rights to the name as far as ammunition production goes, and Herstal Group owns the rights to Winchester Repeating Arms - so they can license or contract with whomever they wish (including their own companies, FN and Browning).

The relationship with Miroku is old though and my understanding is they'd been making shotguns for Browning for years before Herstal got the Winchester name rights, so I guess that was one natural partnership for them to go with. One thing about Miroku and cost - they apparently still do far more hand assembly/fitting and finishing than many other manufacturers (there was someone's photo's and story of a plant tour from a few years back online somewhere, but I cannot find the site now?).

And I agree Joe, as I said the model 70's are made just one state away from me. I too tend to see made in America meaning (these days) as primarily just that - made here but not necessarily by a USA headquartered company. My Honda may be a "Japanese" car, but it was made by the good people of Ohio, and their salaries certainly stayed there, not to mention the few billion Honda invested in building the plant.

But, my pair of Winchester 1892s was made in Japan - and I love them. Superbly made firearms that have been absolutely trouble free and a joy since they came home with me.

Page generated in 0.03012 seconds with 8 queries