View Single Post
Old September 21, 2010, 11:49 AM   #9
Doodlebugger45

I have some large caliber revolvers and like them a lot. I started the big bore experience with a 629 and loved it. Now I have a couple of 44 mags, a .454 Casull, and a .480 Ruger and I like all of them a lot. I toyed with the idea of getting a .460 or a .500 mag several years ago, but so far I haven't done it. Most of the revolvers in those 2 calibers have compensators and people will tell you that the recoil isn't bad. I shot the .460 mag a friend had and it's true that the recoil isn't bad with his long barrel and compensator.

But I have 2 reasons why I haven't taken the plunge into the .460 or .500 mags yet. Have you ever shot one of those with the compensator? Yes, it dampens the recoil just fine. But the muzzle blast is even more intense. I had very good hearing protection when I shot the .460, but with each shot it felt like someone was hitting me in the nose, that pressure wave is so strong.

That isn't the big problem though with those revolvers. Sure, at the range with good hearing protection, they are just fine. I still might get one someday as a range toy. But if you are ever in a situation where you fire it without hearing protection, either hunting or self-defense, it will indeed give you permanent hearing damage. I attended a S&W factory rep's presentation when they first came out and he stressed that fact. The nerve damage is forever. I have fired my BFR in .480 Ruger without hearing protection (just once when elk hunting). It wasn't a good sound. My ears rang for a couple days but it went away I guess. I have not fired the .454 without hearing protection. Not a good idea. It has a different sound than the .480 Ruger. Seems higher pitched to me with ear muffs on.

Bottom line to me was that the sound from the .460 or .500 made it impractical to me for anything other than a range toy (not that there isn't room for that!). If I ever used it for bear protection though, the odds are good that I wouldn't take time to put on the ear muffs in the middle of the night. I guess I would prefer to be deaf rather than bear chow, but my other revolvers will get the job done if that's the only option.

Personally, for me, if I need something bigger than the .454 or .480 then I will shoot a rifle.

Not trying to dissuade you by any means, and there's a chance I might have one myself someday. Just know that there is more to the beast than mere recoil to your wrist. If I get one, I will stick with the BFR platform like I have for my .480 and .454. Those suckers are very sweet.

I hope you reload if you get one. That is the only way I can afford to shoot the .480 and .454 on a regular basis. They cost about the same as a .44 mag to reload, maybe just slightly more for the better bullets. The cost factor is just as important with the .460 or .500. It would be a shame to spend that much on a fine revolver and only be able to shoot it 100 times a year because of the ammo cost.

Page generated in 0.03536 seconds with 8 queries