View Single Post
Old July 3, 2010, 07:31 PM   #16
artemka

Again, thanks for the responses, everyone. Based on some excellent feedback provided, here are my immediate steps, if anyone's interested.

1. Order Ayoob's book on gunproofing the kids. Just ordered it on amazon - the title and cover alone are worth the $10 plus shipping, and his writing is generally very enjoyable
2. keep the Glock in the gunvault loaded and with a round in the chamber
3. consider moving the gunvault closer to the bed (or get a similar but smaller one to store under the bed)
4. start a gun safety regimen with my three-year-old. she already knows that guns go bang, and she doesn't like loud noises, so the groundwork is already done
5. reconsider the ccw in the closet. i'm not terribly worried for now - there are no shelves that would allow a kid to climb all the way up, a chair won't allow her to reach it either - but i'll keep looking for an option that gives me more comfort.

An ideal alternative to my magnet solution would be a holster that makes it impossible to physically remove the handgun from it. I could then permanently attach such a holster to the wall - probably the same location, which is concealed yet accessible.

I did a quick search for biometric holsters, and looks like there are some companies working on something along those lines. Not a fan of putting safety into a complex electronic device, but then again, we do it every day with our cars, elevators, flight control computers, traffic lights, etc. If such a product ever gets to market, I'd strongly consider it...

Page generated in 0.03285 seconds with 8 queries