View Single Post
Old April 10, 2009, 07:02 PM   #22
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Quote:
Now, what parts other then the firing pin and spring are replaceable? I plan on some minor upgrades later(beaver tail, tacticle hammer,sear, and hammer spring all available from midway as a package.) and a after market trigger(for better looks).
Without knowing for sure what features are on your Mil-Spec (I think the older models had a few differences), I'd get the ejection port lowered and flared. This may already be a standard feature, but this is one item that I'd invest in doing. Just about every part on a 1911 is possible to replace. Question is, speed costs money. How fast do you want to go? If you're looking into reliability but on a budget, beaver tails, hammer sets, and aftermarket triggers for looks aren't wise decisions.

Quote:
I have read that the Steel firing pins and extra power springs from midway(edbrown and the like) are very reliable and a good value.
Quote:
The FP channel is not burred or blocked. You mention that titanium firing pins are brittle, i would have thought that being made of titanium, the hardest steel on earth, that it would be a strong part not prone to breaking??
Just about anything from Ed Brown are quality parts. I personally would keep the titanium firing pin in there. It generally lasts longer overall, IMO. Steel is fine, but titanium rules the roost in my 1911. Titanium isn't steel. It is its own element. Steel is derived from iron, an entirely different element. Earlier in time when titanium was filtering into the general public in products, the heat treating process wasn't quite up to snuff. Just like any other product just being introduced into the market, there's usually some trial and error. That's back then. Today's methods have improved and there's nothing to worry about.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting

Page generated in 0.03336 seconds with 8 queries