View Single Post
Old November 20, 2008, 06:06 PM   #16
Tennessee Gentleman

Quote:
Certainly the actual implementation of the Militia is not commonplace, but it does exist. Here's one example:
That was an interesting site. However, one big difference from that orgnaization and the militia that the 2A refers to was service was not optional but mandatory unless legally disqualified.

But beyond that it appears from what I read that the ASDF is a legit militia and I suspect that if they are using military weapons then those weapons are not in private hands but belong to the militia organization.

I have been in other debates before on the military weapons in civilian hands issue and would agree that once a militia is called up by competent government authority and the members are under proper authority and control then sure, issue whatever weapon that would be needed. However, prior to that point there is no militia to speak of like what was in force in 1789. Now, the unorganized militia mentioned in statute is NOT what the ASDF appears to be.

So, in summation, I do not think military small arms (which encompass a lot of deadly stuff) would fall under the 2A protection in private hands and separate from a true legal militia.

Page generated in 0.03623 seconds with 8 queries