View Single Post
Old January 3, 2006, 01:04 PM   #5
azredhawk44

Quote:
The Lee book is kind of peculiar. The "never exceed" load it lists is the powder company's maximum. The "start" load is the next lighter load for which Lee makes a disc or dipper powder measure. It is not the traditional 10% reduced starting load that most sources give, it is not the lightest load that will give reliable powder ignition like Lyman does for non-magnums. It is just what you can load with Lee fixed powder measure and not get in trouble.
Thank you!

I thought something was odd about the Lee data...

240gr LSWC on top of 9.5gr Titegroup feels pretty darn good in my Redhawk, but it is a lot heavier gun than your 629, most likely. Soaks the recoil a bit better. It is very accurate out of my gun. Off hand, I keep 3" groups at 50 feet. I'm not the best pistol shooter and that's about my limit whether it's a .44mag or a .22LR revolver. I use winchester large pistol primers. You can drop all the way down to about 4.7gr - 6.2gr of Titegroup if you wanna use cowboy data. The bullet just kinda "dribbles" out the end at about 800fps.

I really like the feel of the Win296 and H110 powders, though. KaBOOOM!!!

I have Unique, but dislike it's feel when shooting compared to Titegroup. I only use it for .45acp and .400corbon now, and only until I use up the last 1/2 pound I have left. Stopped using it for .357, .44mag. It's very dirty and I have found it to ignite inconsistently. I think it's because its exposed surface area can be different between two same bullets with identical charges. Unique is just shaped funny.

Loading too light can create over pressure just like loading too much.

This is because if the powder level is too far below the primer flash hole, the entire powder payload can ignite simultaneously and create too much pressure too quickly.

But, your light data published from a reputable source can be found here.

Page generated in 0.03406 seconds with 8 queries