View Single Post
Old February 20, 2015, 08:41 PM   #11
stephen426

Invest in a good quality airsoft gun that is as close as possible to your real gun. Airsoft ammo is super cheap and reusable. This will allow you to practice drawing and firing from concealment quickly and safely.

I would then practice getting on target as quickly as possible. Once you develop the muscle memory, the gun becomes and extension of your hand and should point naturally. That is why it is imperative to buy an airsoft as close in shape and weight as your carry gun.

After rapid target acquisition, I would work on engaging multiple targets. While this is rarely going to occur in real life situations, it is the next step of getting on target quickly. Besides, a bad guy will most likely not stay stationary, especially if you pull a gun on him.

If you have a blow back airsoft pistol, you should then move on to rapid fire. While the recoil feels very different from live ammo, the idea is to feel when the gun is back on target rather than depending on your sights. I call this my "reset" position. You will need to practice with live ammo at the range to get the real effect, especially with the more powerful cartridges.

After you work on that, the next step should be shooting while moving. This is pretty hard for most people and is impossible to do on most ranges unless you are shooting IPSC or something similar. It is a vital skill though since a stationary target (you) is easier to hit than a moving target.

The hardest skill is shooting at moving targets while on the move. You can practice with helium balloons outdoors with your airsoft.

Even though you are only shooting airsoft, be sure to wear safety glasses. Be aware of what is around and behind your target. Pick up your pellets or create a good backstop. A beach towel that hangs into a carboard box works great since it won't ricochet and the pellets drop into the box. This is obvious, but don't do anything stupid while you are outdoors or else someone may mistake your airsoft for a real gun and call the cops or pull their own gun.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Page generated in 0.03834 seconds with 8 queries