View Single Post
Old March 24, 2010, 06:26 PM   #18
SigP6Carry

You know, HKMP5SD, I should point out that the perception that the American Public is against the Health Care Reform Bill was gotten using illy worded surveys. When asked point by point, most people were, in effect, in support of the bill, but when asked about a nationalized, socialized or universal health care system, people would generally dislike it, because the name implied something far more sinister than what it was.

They do this for gun control, as well. How many poorly worded and shamefully written surveys, essays, investigations, reports and propaganda have you seen? Also, the entire point of the senate, congress, SCOTUS and executive branch is to provide the legislation, rulings, etc. etc. to the majority of the people, that's kind of the way that a democracy and republic work. Sometimes it doesn't agree with staunch lines that run between "Democrat" and "Republican." Sometimes, it does.

My point is: concerning gun control, you have to think outside of the predefined conceptions of right vs. left. I don't believe that gun ownership is either a left or right wing issue. I think it's an issue of the people, all people, in the United States. There are some people who oppose it, and there are some people who love it. And you know for a fact that you've seen egregious lies from both sides of the fence. So, instead of worrying about "what the democrats are going to do," worry about what YOU'RE going to do. Write letters, call senators, protest, sign petitions, be active in the sphere of politics. That's what I do. I've written several letters regarding my belief in the Illinois Concealed Carry Permit bill that's being worked on right now to several Illinois State Senators to let them know that there are people that want this. And if enough of us (the gun owning community) have agency regarding this topic, rather than passive complaining like "he's not my president" and "I hate democrats," then we can make things move.

I even wrote a letter to Pat Quinn (the incumbent) letting him know that I will not be casting my vote for him due to his rather lethargic stance regarding gun control and how he is doing nothing to better the ability of Illinois state citizens to protect themselves. I got a generic thank you letter back. This is the kind of action that WE as a community must take if we're to do anything. Sitting in our homes shaking in our boots like it's the Cold War again does nothing: be pro-active in your government. Visit town-hall meetings, write people. I can't stress this enough, that is what we must do.

Also, be proactive in your community and your social life. If you know people who know diddly-squat about guns who are talking about how gun control needs to be ramped up to get rid of assault weapons, ask them "how would that help?" or "How would restricting law abiding citizens from purchasing certain guns prevent criminals from obtaining them?" or inform them. My opinion is that the biggest opponent to Gun Owners Rights isn't "Gun Grabbers" or "The Democrats" or "The Left Wing," it's the campaign of misinformation that people have been exposed to. Why am I afraid of people knowing I own guns?! Because misinformation campaigns have turned people against me because I own guns. I said "no more!" and I started spreading the knowledge to anyone who would listen.

I'm sorry for rambling. But this is how I feel regarding gun control. Don't make it a bipartisan issue, make it an issue of the people, write letters, get our voices heard.

Page generated in 0.03489 seconds with 8 queries