View Single Post
Old August 16, 2016, 01:41 AM   #51
BigBL87

Without addressing specific posts, I'll share what I was told during my CCL training here in IL. FWIW, both of my trainers were/are city police officers.

They recommended not telling the officer unless you are asked, in which case you are legally obligated to do so in Illinois. Illinois is not a duty to inform state, so you are not legally obligated to inform unless the information is requested. They did add that if you do want to inform during a traffic stop, and they understand some people's reasoning in doing so, you need to have rehearsed exactly what you are going to say and stick to it.

In addition to that, one thing I have started doing (and I'm not carrying yet but doing it to get into the habit) that they recommended is keeping my wallet, insurance, registration, etc. in an easily accessible spot off of my body. I keep my insurance and registration in the driver's side visor, and my wallet on the middle console in the open. That way, I'm not reaching to my side or any other place the officer can not see.

Now, all of that being said, being a juvenile detention officer I am familiar with quite a few officers at various local PD's and the Sheriff's Department, so I don't find most traffic stops to be very tense to begin with.

Page generated in 0.03526 seconds with 8 queries