View Single Post
Old July 28, 2012, 12:11 AM   #69
MLeake

+1 Frank Ettin.

If you want to run a PPK or a BUG on a regular day, go for it. Don't worry about scoring, per se, just see how well it works for you.

Put another way, I used to fly Navy P-3's. We'd often loiter (shut down) an engine while flying long, low, overwater profiles. Running fewer engines, at higher power levels, actually saved fuel - since somewhere around half the fuel burn for each engine was required simply to turn the engine compressor, not to produce torque or thrust.

The decision on when/whether to do that was based on performance numbers in our operating handbook (NATOPS), officially, but in reality most of us would pull power back on that engine to simulate a feathered prop, then pull back the other engine on the same side (worst case dual failure, since a lot of rudder would be necessary to counter the severe torque imbalance, and a lot of rudder equals a lot of drag) to see what that airplane would really do in those conditions.

Books and stats are well and good, but if I were going to operate 200ft above the water, I wanted to know exactly how that system would work in that weather on that day, if I were to lose the worst case engine while I had #1 shut down.

So, run what you plan to use, and see what you can really do with it.

Page generated in 0.03361 seconds with 8 queries