View Single Post
Old July 26, 2012, 12:02 PM   #56
BlueTrain

That's correct; he should. But there are some howevers.

I have only watched competitions. But it's obvious that some competitions will greatly favor certain model guns over others. That's true in car racing, too. In some cases, you are even required to use certain calibers or at least loads with a certain power factor. Without doing any research whatsoever, are there "stock" categories for handgun competitions that require that competitors use mostly unmodified handguns instead of "race guns" that typically dominate the matches? That would be one place to go in.

I doubt there are competitions for pocket pistols but it seems like there should be. Whether or not there would be enough interest for the trouble is another story. Managing competition and courses and so on is not a simple job.

Another thing is that, oddly enough, highly modified handguns sometimes become unreliable. I've seen stoppages in competitions, though you might say that's a good thing; it helps you to learn to clear a stoppage under stress. It might also make you think automatics are unreliable, the same pistols that have been around for a hundred years now. It's funny how these things work out sometimes.

I'm going out on a limb here and ask if there is more creative competition in black powder/cowboy shooting games. I don't think cowboy shooting has degenerated--I mean evolved--into using lots of highly modified guns, although I know sometimes more than one gun is required. But it sounds like they do a lot to keep it interesting. Maybe not realistic but it's still a competition.
Buy War Bonds.

Page generated in 0.03237 seconds with 8 queries